Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Certification Advice

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:21:57 -0400

I swapped a bit of email with him, but for those on the Management run
my current findings indicate CISM and, if you already are a CISSP, the
CISSMP.

Jim

Spyro Malaspinas wrote:

Very dissapointing to see that we are not abreast of the barometers that
measure many of the skill sets we look for in security professionals.  I
recently completed my CISSP, yes it is still valid.  It is also very highly
regarded.. take a look for CISSP on monster or dice and you will see what I
mean.

Second, it is good because it is non vendor specific.  Others that are good
are the SANS GIAC.  These are no joke as they require papers to be
completed.  They are more time intensive, and again NOT vendor specific.

I am not opposed to vendor certs yet they serve you in a limited fashion, ie
for those devices only.  Eg. I have maintained a CCSA, CCSE, and CCSE+ which
are all checkpoint exams.  A CSPFA, a cisco pix exam.  These are great to
have for measurement of a skill set with a particular device.  GIAC, and the
CISSP ensure that you are able to transfer your security knowledge as
principles, and can thus practice skillfully on a wide variety of devices no
matter who the vendor is.

Spyro Malaspinas, CISSP