Security Basics mailing list archives

External Pen Test / Manual Exploitation

From: Jason Burzenski <jburzenski () americanhm com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:35:40 -0400

I am in the process of reviewing a proposal for external penetration testing
from a vendor.  One of the phases of the pen test includes a manual
exploitation of vulnerabilities discovered using automated scans.  The text
makes mention of specially crafted commands or code and the use of modified
open source tools.

Is this a normal part of an external penetration test?  According to the
break down of phases, they will use automated tools, then verify the results
using manual means to reduce false positives.  Why the need for additional
manual exploitation?  This seems to pose unnecessary risk to my network
services.

Jason Burzenski