Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security Certs

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:04:37 -0400

Your view towards hiring the ones you see (pay no attention to certs) is
not uncommon.  However, that is not universal and to get TO the
interview with the one that CAN hire (example: HR) often a certification
is used within the filtering process.

Jim

"Steve W. Manzuik" wrote:

The CISSP requirements are not all that stiff if you have industry
experience.  Not sure about the Microsoft Security cert as I have never
looked at it.  But the Security+ certification from CompTIA is targeted
towards IT folks who want to move into security.  It is a good starting
point.  There is also Sans.

I personally don't hold a lot of value in any of the certs and when hiring
people I couldn't care less what letters are behind their name but what
skills they have and what kind of attitude they have.  Although I highly
doubt this is the norm..

-S