Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security Certs

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:21:09 -0700

From: "Robby Tanner" <Robby.Tanner () lightsource ca>

I agree that certifications are misleading but they at least demonstrate
SOME level of skill don't they?  How else do you determine "what skills
they have" BEFORE hiring them and observing performance?

I suppose that's the trick isn't it?

I don't think certs are worthless, you just have to check that the person has experience to go with them. When I post a job opening I usually get a storm of resumes, so I use them in my first phase winnowing, in addition to things like having a messed up format, or not following the directions in the job post. To me they represent a minimum level of knowledge about a subject, so that for example, if the person is an MCSE and I ask them an active directory question, they shouldn't say "active what?", though it's no guarantee they'll actually know the right answer.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"We are successful when our bosses wonder what it is we do all day." -- Tim Mullen

Instant message during games with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE! http://msnmessenger-download.com