Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security Certs

From: m0use <m0use () helixsecurity net>
Date: 06 Oct 2003 10:31:00 -0500

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 12:23, Myers, Marvin wrote:
I'd like to just throw in my situation. It's kind of weird but its been
good to me. I have 9 years exp in IT. Started as a hardware guy then
network engineer/admin, now security admin. I feel that I know my share
of things ranging from MS and *nix , Cisco, hardware, and most of all
security. Up until last Dec I had one certs (1996 Win95 MCP lol), my
exp. has been the plane I've been flying on. I've tried certs and for
some reason I just cant focus on these multiple choice questions but
rather know how to just "do stuff in real life". I am only certified
Security+ and CCSA (checkpoint). I plan on doing more certs, if I can
somehow learn the patience of reading a book and sitting an exam instead
of 14 hour days of hacking away at stuff till I know the hands on way to
do things. So without any well known certs I've keep stable full time
work through this economy (knock on wood).

I found myself in the same boat a few years back and realized that the
time was coming where I'd also have to "prove" my skills on paper.  Not
having a degree I figured the best way to do that was with certs.  In
the end they don't mean anything to anyone except HR and a hiring
manager that needs to meet some minimum education requirement in new
hires.  To a technical person the certs really just say you have been
introduced to the technology and have enough intelligence to memorize
some material for a few days.  Not that that shouldn't count for
something.  With a combination of solid technical experience and a
little book learning, the certs may get you the interview and a chance
to show that you know what you are talking about/doing.

My $.02