Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security Certs

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:22:49 -0700

  MOST certs only demonstrate "skill" at passing exams.
(I've always been a fan of setting candidates toy problems
and watching how they attempt to solve them....)

  When I originally embarked on my NT MCSE, it was with
the premise that I was working with a new OS and wanted to
uncover and fill any important gaps in my knowledge.  It
was only well into the process that I realized that
"Running an NT network" -- which is what I was doing on
the job -- would have been a reasonable subtitle for the
cert curriculum.

  What I figure certs *actually* demonstrate is a
commitment of personal time and (usually) money.  Of two
candidates of similar relevant experience, the one with
the certs is the one who has demonstrated a serious long-
term interest in making a career of this field.  Good
employers would be expected to value that in a prospect.

David Gillett