Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux for newbies

From: Aoratos <aoratos () wideopenwest com>
Date: 17 Nov 2003 14:15:31 -0500

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 17:22, Matt Atkins wrote:
First of all, I want to tell all of you what a great mailing list this is.

I agree.

I would like to ask the group what flavor of
Linux is recommended for a newbie.

The quick version: Go with Red Hat because it is one of most, if not THE
most, popular distros.  "So what?" you ask?  Well, it makes it easier to
try out new stuff when most of it comes packaged in Red Hat RPMs (as
well as source, of course).

My contribution to the discussion of the past few days is the following:
If you really get bit by the Linux bug, you may be tempted to convert
off of your Windows desktop for surfing and e-mail and use only Linux.
Good ... do it.  BUT, I suggest that you don't use THAT installation of
Linux to do your twiddling and learning on.  Install Red Hat (or SuSE,
Mandrake, etc.) for your desktop and then have another partition where
you experiment with Gentoo, Debian, compilers, games, window managers,
security tools, etc.  If you get good at something, move it over to your
"production" partition.

My $.02.

Sincerely,
Aoratos

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027