Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Linux for newbies

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:48:47 -0800

        I stared out using RHL (Red Hat Linux), albeit back in the 6.2
days. I've heard good things about Mandrake and SuSE, a fellow admin of
mine swears by SuSE Linux. Personally I swear by RHL and OpenBSD. Once
you got the hang of 'easy' Linux try Debian or Gentoo, which are far
less on the 'plug and play' side. Instead of grabbing RHL 9.0 I suggest
you get a copy of Fedora instead, I've installing the code on a test
system, and so far it works ok.

        To anyone trying to learn *NIX and is more a visual learner I
suggest you grab a copy of this:
http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/product?id=44. I had them for my Linux+
and it's a great 'fundamentals' videos. As always, http://www.linux.org
is your best stop to lean about the distro's.

        Hope this helps and good luck!

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA