Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Linux for newbies

From: "Richard Rees" <richard.rees () ins com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:21:00 -0600

With no experience in Linux, I would recommend starting with Red Hat.  It's
easy to set up and get running.  However, as you learn the basic interfaces
and configuration, I would move to Debian as soon as you can.  IMO, Debian
offers more flexibility than Red Hat and the advanced package tool (apt,
apt-get) allows for easier addition and upgrade for software packages.

Richard Rees, CISSP
Principal Consultant, International Network Services
Voice:  847.756.4072
Mobile:  847.650.0335
Email:   richard.rees () ins com
"The consultants that go to eleven"