Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Linux for newbies

From: "Ed Brimmer" <ebrimmer () nautilusgroup com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:36:10 -0800

Okay,

With the thought of security in mind, Suse or Redhat Enterprise versions
are about your only choice.  All other distros ( correct me if I'm wrong
) will not have the proper mechanisms in place to provide enterprises a
"feel" good.  Debian or Free BSD are probably the only "free"
distributions, though Free BSD is *not* Linux, that are stable and
*slow* enough to help prevent security holes.

I'm also a believer that if you love Linux, then pickup several
distributions of Linux.  Find out what developers or hacks like to play
with ( Gentoo / Mandrake ) and find out what version is most likely
going to be in the enterprise ( Redhat / Suse ).  Don't limit yourself,
play with them all!!!  :-)

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027