Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Linux for newbies

From: "Fisher, E." <EFisher () ocwen com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:31:07 -0500

Matt,
After downloading and installing most of the major distros with the same
goal in mind, I would suggest Suse Linux 9.0.  Go to www.suse.com and take a
look.  If it appeals to you, download the live eval from
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/
This will be a bootable cd-rom that you can use to run linux on your pc
without actually "installing" it.  This will let you play around with it and
figure out if all of the hardware in your pc will support it without a lot
of pain or lost time.  If it does, then I would really suggest buying the
Suse 9.0 Professional from your local store or Amazon.  There is a DVD and a
couple of good books in that set to get you started.  Most of the Suse books
that are on the market now are on older version, but don't let that
discourage you.
By the way, if you have VMWare 4, Suse 9 runs great in a virtual machine
without having to install the vm-tools.
Of course, if your goal is to learn the security tools that are available in
Linux, and not Linux itself, look at another live cd version called Knoppix.
http://www.knoppix.net.  That is one of the 'tools' that I have with me at
all times, and does an admirable job without requiring an install.

Hope this helps,
Ed