Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux for newbies

From: "Gabriel Orozco" <gabriel_orozco () mx sumida com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:40:35 -0600

This was my case:

I began with Redat 6.0, and I liked it. Later I noticed Mandrake, and wanted
to test the cutting edge of the linux world (yes, Mandrake is always with
the latest, even alpha stage versions)

for Redhat, afther 6.2, nothing was the same. many bugs, many configurations
that later were not working.

then, I began with Slackware. I recognize in the local linux group the ones
that  always help the others, are the Slack guys. They help me to do the
most needed thing in linux: READ. they told me where to look for programs:
Freshmeat, Sourceforge, etc.

Since then, I tried several distros, just to know them. even Gentoo. but I
use Slackware for all server activities. Right now, in my desktop computer
at home, I have Mandrake 9.2 and Slackware 9.1, and after trying some
programs in Mandrake, I still always use Slack.

if anyone want to learn how to use linux, and how to use it well, and it's
beginning, I would recommend Slackware. if the user needs everything running
in a new cutting edge system, maybe Mandrake would be a good startpoint,
provided the user learns how to READ.

my 0.2

Regards