Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Unwanted programs on Win2K

From: Gedi <gediintheuk () yahoo co uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 17:42:43 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Ahaly

There are many ways to do get the result you want.
However, the easiest is to crack the .SAM file.

The .SAM file is locked under operating running
conditions. If your admins are usless you may be lucky
and find a backup copy in the repair folder
(c:\WINNT\repair)

However, the .SAM file resides in
C:\WINNT\system32\config and you will need to grab a
copy of this to take home and crack. For this you will
need a copy of NTFSDOS (I'm assuming the file system
is NTFS) You can boot from this OS and navigate to
this folder take a copy and take it home to crack with
a program like l0phtcrack (LC4)

There are many programs that can extract hashes
however I could go on forever naming them all and
there different methods.

Privilidge escalation via progs like user2sid etc.....

The book Tim mentioned is a must read for any security
admin. I also have the hacking linux, 3rd edition and
web applications. Its good reading, and even great
hackers can pick up a few tips.

However, you can find yourself in deep trouble if you
are caught doing anything mentioned or similar. If you
want to be a hacker, its best to learn on your own
network (until you become proficient  ;) )

Gedi