Security Basics mailing list archives

Unwanted programs on Win2K

From: <ahaly () softhome net>
Date: 1 Feb 2003 23:38:04 -0000

Hey,

This question is not from an admin but a end-user. I am doing my studies
in a big university and we have many Win2K machines in our labs and
library.

Sometimes I find applications like Yahoo and MSN Messenger installed on
these machines. I have also sometimes seen things like Kazaa. Technically
these are not supposed to be there. As in only the apps that are installed
by admins are supposed to be there and the above mentioned apps are not
part of the admin list of apps. When I try to install an application, I
get an error saying that I don’t have privileges. I know I don’t have
privileges but there is someone out there who has found a way to bypass
the restrictions.

Question: How can someone bypass restrictions in Win2k to install software
when he doesn’t have proper privileges?
Reason for asking question: If someone can install Kazaa, someone can also
install a keyreader or something like that.
Maybe I am paranoid, but everytime I login, maybe I am telling someone -
hey, this is my passwrd.

Ahaly