Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Unwanted programs on Win2K

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 13:52:20 -0800

From: Gedi <gediintheuk () yahoo co uk>
There are many ways to do get the result you want.
However, the easiest is to crack the .SAM file.
The .SAM file is locked under operating running
conditions. If your admins are usless you may be lucky
and find a backup copy in the repair folder
(c:\WINNT\repair)

Haven't heard of this one before. I have a SAM file in C:\winnt\repair but the permissions look ok, pretty much only the admin can get in there. I read a few NT webpages that say the solution to this security hole is to change the permissions. Does this mean I'm safe after all, or do I have a vulnerability here? (I'm using win2k)

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"For Sys Admins paranoia isn't a mental health problem, its a marketable job skill."