Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Unwanted programs on Win2K

From: "Simon Taplin" <simont () lantic net>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 22:26:35 +0200

Hello Ahaly

As an admin working in a uni enviroment, I have seen this before.

It depends on what the admins have set up. Some accounts may be Part of the
Power Users group which gives them rights to install for that user only.
Your's might be part of the more restricted Users group. Also, some progs
let you install, and then reboot the machine, and when you log back in, ask
for the Administrator account to finish the install but if you press cancel,
still work.

NExt reason is that some apps might not need Administrator access to
install.

Last possible reason, - your fellow students have gotten hold of an
Administrator password.

Simon

Quote of the day:
Systems Administration is the kind of job that nobody notices if you're
doing it well. People only take notice of their systems when they're not
working.