Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Unwanted programs on Win2K

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 14:16:10 -0500

Wait until a few in senior management get arrested.  ;-)
(note:  Check appendix of industrial espionage act)

Jim

From: Harris Samuel W PORT <HarrisSW () mail ports navy mil>
I disagree. Security is everybody's problem. The user can be a big
help in notifying the IT department of things going on that might have
escaped their eyes. The more eyes, the better.

I agree, regular users are some of my best agents in making sure that
everyone is following the rules.  Once they understand that it's important,
and why, most users are happy to comply with reasonable security
precautions, and their informed help is much more useful than stubborn
ignorance.  Of course, the higher up they are in the chain of command, the
less likely they are to think that security precautions apply to them.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"For Sys Admins paranoia isn't a mental health problem, its a marketable job
skill."

--
James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA
Booz | Allen | Hamilton