Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question for all

From: stephen at unix dot za dot net <stephen () unix za net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:46:35 +0200 (SAST)

put the hdd into another pc that is clean of virii/trojans/etc and then
run scans and whatnot..

the biggest prob is that when AV's find a virus, it can't remove it
because "file in use"

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Flory D Jeffrey Contractor 59MDSS/MSISI wrote:

A friend of mine recently went from Windows ME to Win2K, but now he has a
trojan on his computer.  He is running Norton Anti-virus, and it will not
clean it off, it will only quarentine it.  The affliction is:
Backdoor.Trojan, and it has placed a hidden folder on his hard drive called:
Payload.Dat.  He cannot get ride of it.  We have tried doing a search on the
internet for some kind of information pertaining to this, but we had no
luck.  We also tried all the antiviral websites but they do not have a tool
for this.

My question is:  Has anyone ever heard of this, and if so, how do you clean
it off.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, anyone can provide.

Jeff