Security Basics mailing list archives

Backdoor.Trojan and payload.dat

From: Lee Seidman <lseidman () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:24:27 -0700 (PDT)

Heyya, Jeff,

Just discovered it on one of my customer's networked
laptops (Windows 2000) as well.  I'll let you know if
I happen to learn of a way to get rid of it (so far
I've been somewhat unsuccessful on the network
component).

For the laptop itself, try following the procedures
listed at:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/pf/w32.randex.d.html

It seemed to clean out the laptop portion of the
problem, but again, I cannot say definitively if it
solves the situation as it keeps resurfacing on our
network even after taking these steps on the local
laptop.

- Lee