Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question for all

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 00:19:56 +0200

On 2003-08-04 Chris Berry wrote:
From: "Bob Walker" <bobwalker8 () comcast net>
While I am a huge fan of the msconfig utility in windows machines, it
doesn't work in win2k.  Doesn't even exist.  My advice would be to go
the safe mode route, as you suggested.  Another possible avenue (for
advanced users only though), would be to go to administrative tools,
computer management, and remove the offending service there.

You can intall the XP version and it works fine.  Also you can add a
control applet called startup control, or use a program called
regcleaner which also has a startup panel.

Another nice tool for this is Sysinternals' autoruns [1].

[1] http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#autoruns

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers