Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question for all

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 13:41:28 -0700

From: Flory D Jeffrey Contractor 59MDSS/MSISI <Jeffrey.Flory2 () LACKLAND AF MIL>
A friend of mine recently went from Windows ME to Win2K, but now he has a
trojan on his computer.  He is running Norton Anti-virus, and it will not
clean it off, it will only quarentine it.  The affliction is:
Backdoor.Trojan, and it has placed a hidden folder on his hard drive called: Payload.Dat. He cannot get ride of it. We have tried doing a search on the
internet for some kind of information pertaining to this, but we had no
luck.  We also tried all the antiviral websites but they do not have a tool
for this.

My question is:  Has anyone ever heard of this, and if so, how do you clean
it off.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, anyone can provide.

Well, the best plan would be to wipe your hard drive and start over, but barring that, my next step would be to use SpybotSD, it's pretty good at cleaning out garbage like that. If it works you might consider sending a donation, the developer does all that work for free.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Q: How many software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb ?
A: It can't be done; it's a hardware problem."