Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: hacksdmi?

From: "Brooke, O'neil (EXP)" <o'neil.brooke () LMCO COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:45:33 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Mosher [SMTP:farq () KILN ISN NET]
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2000 8:39 AM
To:   VULN-DEV () SECURITYFOCUS COM
Subject:      Re: hacksdmi?

        <snip>
      I'm thinking that secure DA->AD->DA watermarking is an unholy
graal of sorts, i.e. not something I'd ever expect to really work. The
watermark, in this case, has to exist in the sound, somewhere. If you know
the process, what's to stop you from mucking with that portion of the
sound?

        This maybe a silly question but, couldn't they put a watermark into
the sound by using sounds that we cannot hear? Very high or very low
frequencies could be used, so could sounds that will be overpowered by the
watermarked content. (note: this would entail the creation of new sounds,
not simply the tweaking of existing sounds within the content) If frequency
hoping is used in the algorithm it may be difficult to know where these
watermark sounds are located.