Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: hacksdmi?

From: Ralph Moonen <ralph () TINK ORG>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:06:49 +0200

From: "Ralph Moonen" <<mailto:ralph () TINK ORG>ralph () TINK ORG>

-------------------------
> This is not true per se. Might be true for *this* algo, but the guys 'n
> galls at the Fraunhofer institute have figured a way to put in digital
> watermarks that:
> -survives heavy compression
> -survives many sequences of D/A - A/D conversion
> -survives all kinds of effects(!!)
> -survives even in short samples of the music

--------------------------
 But eventully the
watermark will be broken, and when it is, it is only a matter of piecing it
back together to find the key to cracking it.  This is true no matter what
algroithm is used to mark it, even the very complex one listed below (from
Ralph's post).

Maybe it is possible to cryptographically hash the watermark in such a way
that the time needed to crack it would exceed the average product lifetime
of the
media-players involved. This would be a very effective copy protect mechanism.

And here is a question for the list:
If the watermark is hidden in the least significant bits, a program could
set all these bits to zero and this should effectively disable the
watermark, because I am guessing that to compute the watermark an _exact_
match must be made with the output of some decoding algorithm.

In this case a moot point since just flipping bits is NOT the way they did
it, and
is just about as brain-dead as adding noise to the signal.
SDMI does NOT operate by flipping LSB's. I have no idea how it does work.

--RAlph