Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: hacksdmi?

From: Steve Mosher <farq () KILN ISN NET>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:11:12 -0300

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Brooke, O'neil (EXP) wrote:

      This maybe a silly question but, couldn't they put a watermark into
the sound by using sounds that we cannot hear? Very high or very low
frequencies could be used, so could sounds that will be overpowered by the
watermarked content. (note: this would entail the creation of new sounds,
not simply the tweaking of existing sounds within the content) If frequency
hoping is used in the algorithm it may be difficult to know where these
watermark sounds are located.

        A good filter can strip frequencies that we can't hear. Therefore
the watermark has to exist within the frequencies we can hear. That
doesn't necessairly mean we have to be able to hear the difference,
though. However, I'm very much in doubt that this is something that can be
done reliably and securely with information.