Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: hacksdmi?

From: spiff <spiff () BWAY NET>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 22:35:29 -0400

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Ralph Moonen wrote:

DeCSS is quite legal in Europe, it's only a problem in the USA.

I wish that were true, however:

Date: 25 Jan 2000 07:40:02 -0000
From: lcs Mixmaster Remailer <mix () anon lcs mit edu>
To: cypherpunks () cyberpass net
Subject: So much for "but it's legal in Norway"

According to http://slashdot.org/articles/00/01/24/2024233.shtml:

 Jon Johansen is the young man from Norway who reverse-engineered DeCSS.
 He writes, "The National Authority for Investigation and Prosecution
 of Economic and Environmental Crime in Norway raided my home today and
 seized my Linux box, FreeBSD/Win2k box and Nokia cellphone. Not only I,
 but also my father has been indicted, since he owns the mmadb.no domain
 (webhotel) where my homepage(s) have been located. They also took me in
 for questioning which lasted 6-7 hours. It's 2 am CET now (I just got
 back), I haven't eaten, and someone's definitely going to pay for this. I
 have shut down my old email account, and I'm now using linuxdvd () mmadb no
 - More information coming tomorrow, once I've talked to my lawyer. Did
 someone whisper countersuit?"

This litigation is still pending in Norway. Jon and his father explained
to me this summer that they are confidant they will prevail, however they
are still quite within the reach of the multinational corporations and
their UK-USA lackeys.

Also please see the web pages of SDMI (www.sdmi.org) and MPEG
(http://www.cselt.it/mpeg/) and note the many concurrencies. It's folly to
think that SDMI is only affecting Americans in it's reach, and in the
effect they are having on digital media as a whole, in the past, now, and
in the future. These people all work together.

Maybe the whole point is not to be secure but make people suable.

No, SDMI just want people to do SDMI's work for them, for free.

spiff