Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: hacksdmi?

From: Ralph Moonen <ralph () TINK ORG>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:49:22 +0200

At 14:12 12-10-00 -0400, Masial wrote:
> [...]

Well, correct me if im wrong but with the DMCA in place, wouldnt it be
illegal to even try to remove a watermark?

The DMCA is irrelevant in 90% of the world. DMCA is 100% american, and while
a lot of music is produced in the USA, it only houses a small part of the
world
population. I won;t start on a rant about americocentrism here, but the
point is
clear I hope

That way, no matter how
weak/lame/clueless your protection is, you can always get back to good 'ol
lawyers to nail pirates that publicise de-watermarking software. Anyone
knows of something strangely similar called DeCSS ? :)

DeCSS is quite legal in Europe, it's only a problem in the USA.

Maybe the whole point is not to be secure but make people suable.

Make Americans suable. Sure. The DMCA thing is a shame, but hardly relevant
to me and a billion chinese and indians.

--Ralph