Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: SDMI - The way I would make the water mark.

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins () ITDOMAIN COM AU>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:58:35 +1100

  Ok I have an idea how the SDMI lives thought the wav - mp3 - wav and DA
-> AD -> DA.

   Music is make up of notes.  If the note was moved 200MS either way with
a known pattern the the music can be water mark and be converted to MP3
back to WAV and still see it.  The human ear would not hear it.

Musical scores are made up of notes. the music you hear from a wav/mp3 is
not - it is a recorded waveform. Notes as such do not exist in an mp3.

so you must do your note 'adjusting' when the music is recorded. Which is
basically changing the score and thus the music.

Btw the human ear will detect if some noes are 200ms out from the rest of
the piece. 200ms = 1/5 of a second. Not an issue for things like web pages
etc, but music is so dense with information that 200ms is a huge issue.
(IMO)