Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Audio fingerprinting (was Re: hacksdmi?)

From: Geoff Schmidt <geoff () TUNEPRINT COM>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 16:16:28 -0400

This is more or less a logfile how I tried to get rid of the
protection from www.hacksdmi.com.

Un-fucking-real! You were able to break all three watermarks by adding
five bits of noise? You realize that means that just downsampling the
audio to 10 bits/sample (let alone 8) nukes the watermark??

And somebody put up $30k for this?!

.. reading your log a little more carefully, you never actually say
whether you submitted your modified WAVs to the oracle for analysis
(ie, to get a yes-or-no on whether the watermark reader can actually
detect the watermark.) Did you actually test this?

Are you _positive_ that only the low eight bits change? Did you check
the entire file? Are you sure that some of the bytes that changed +/-
1 or 2 weren't high-order bytes?

Please tell me that the cream of Verance's DSP people can come up with
something that withstands 3 lines of C code or 30 seconds alone in a
room with CoolEdit.

geoff