nanog mailing list archives

Re: Best TAC Services from Equipment Vendors

From: joel () joelesler net
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:19:29 -0400

You sir, not wrong.

On Mar 11, 2024, at 10:04, michael brooks - ESC <michael.brooks () adams12 org> wrote:

It may be a pain in the butt to get Cisco equipment, but their TAC is sublime.  If something is critical enough, and
you push hard enough, Cisco will move heaven and earth to solve your issue.

But is this not the problem itself?

Strap in for an "I remember when" ...
Once upon a time, I could call (specifically) Cisco TAC, knowing, without any doubt, that my quality problem
resolution was inbound, no questions asked. That came to a crashing halt about 15 years ago when a TAC engineer
wanted to bounce our Voice VLAN SVI in the middle of an airport production day. I about turned over my desk trying to
wrest the remote control session back from him before he hit enter on the shut. Since then, I have had to go through
a not insignificant evaluation period of TAC engineers before I let them take control of a remote session, and it is
now simply pure instinct to log SSH sessions.

Fast forward and my user base is now ~45k people, not massive by any stretch, but certainly not a small org, and we
tend to buy Premium/Platinum support on all of our critical applications. I truly do have to "push hard" and long to
get the attention of our support teams to get a seemingly simple problem supported and solved. Our support is still
in the dumper. Take, for instance, a recent case with our replication/DR vendor. Our DR environment has been offline
for ~3 months, does that not scream "critical?" And yet, we are still having engineers jump on a call to collect ....
the same data that the last engineer jumped on a call to collect. One of our engineers, as has been not-so-subtly
alluded to, resorted to a screamfest to get the attention of TAC, and not surprisingly that dressing-down got upper
levels involved.

For good measure, major networking vendor possibly mentioned earlier spent 9 months, at the developer level,
troubleshooting a multicast issue which ultimately turned out to be PIM not configured on all interfaces in the path.
Yes, I felt like an idiot for not already checking that, but should not have the first engineer on the phone asked
this?

Admittedly, we are going through a rough patch in terms of support, but it is not out of line with the past decade's
experiences.

michael brooks