Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The home user problem returns

From: "Tina Bird" <tbird () precision-guesswork com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:51:53 -0700

boy, i can't remember the last time i've been this involved with a fw-wiz
thread. i've been thinking about this stuff ever since blaster...

jim's made a completely brilliant point:

Some things that've no doubt helped: Relatively small
company--only 150
or so desktops.

the reason i keep at this is that i *know* i can make things better on the
network that i run. and so can jim, and paul, and marcus.

if we cut down the size of the target audience enough, it's manageable, and
we can make a difference.

we might not fix the entire problem - hell, i don't know how to define the
*entire* problem. but we'll make our little corners better. and all those
corners being better does help.

to abuse the medical analogy a little further: no one goes into medicine
because they think they can cure *all* the sick people - or at least, that
notion gets drummed out of them pretty early on. but not being able to do a
complete job does NOT make doing the job altogether worthless.

bring on the formaldehyde!