Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The home user problem returns

From: Mason Schmitt <mason () schmitt ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:47:59 -0700

In fact, it's been my
experience that using technology to solve a human problem is the hallmark of
lazy or ineffective management.  (i.e. "I don't have the clout/spine to take
this to HR to get a policy against using streaming audio, so we'll use QoS
at the border to keep audio traffic from drowning inbound web traffic...
again.")

Yes!  I know the manager you are talking about.

However, Marcus said something in his latest rant (well, the one everyone's
talking about - I picture Marcus ranting on a near-daily basis to someone
somewhere) on this topic that I think is fairly accurate.  Some of these
problems will solve themselves in the near future.  A new generation of
"kids" is beginning to enter the workforce.  These kids grew up with e-mail,
web, IM, p2p and all of the crap that goes with it.  Businesses stand to
benefit directly from the new increase in collective understanding about the
user end of technology.  This includes many of the things that you would see
in technology or data security awareness training programs that companies
have spent the last decade developing.

Yup.  This is the hysteresis I was talking about.  Uptake is slow and
may span a generation, but it will happen.

--
Mason