Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The home user problem returns

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:16:27 -0400 (EDT)

"Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com> wrote:

Mason Schmitt wrote:
[snip]

User education
----------------
User education still needs to happen

Pointless. If educating users was going to work, it would have worked
by now. If Anna Kournikova worm and phishing hadn't gotten people
to take this seriously years ago, they aren't going to next year, either.
[snip]

It may be pointless in home user space, but, IME, it's most definitely
*not* pointless in the workplace.  I regard end-user education as one
of my best defenses.  And it has worked for me.

Some things that've no doubt helped: Relatively small company--only 150
or so desktops.  Good support from management: Official dispensation to
*immediately* remove from the network misbehaving machines.  I once
disconnected an entire R&D department.  Another time I suspended a
manager's account (for password sharing).  I'm allowed Draconian email
filtering at the mail gateways.  Most of that same filtering is done on
internal mail servers.  But still: End-user education is an important
component.  I have somebody either come to me or email me about how "I
received this, and it looked suspicious, so I didn't open it.  Do you
want to see it?" on a fairly regular basis.

Result: We haven't had a single virus/worm/Trojan get loose on the
network, with *one* exception, in the six years I've been working for
my current employer.  That one exception was a "day 0" kind of a thing,
infected .zip file, sent from the outside to somebody that was
expecting an email, with an attachment, from that person.  (It didn't
get far.  As luck would have it: Soon after he opened that attachment,
I had logged-in remotely because of the advisories, detected the spoor,
and shut down all the mail and POP servers until I got in the next
morning.)

Jim