Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The home user problem returns

From: mason () schmitt ca
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:28:12 -0700 (PDT)

Where this is pertinent to the thread is that the epidemiology aspect
of network reality at present is part of the "education"
process.  "Evolution" may be a better term since some of the sick
won't survive to benefit from the lesson they play out, but the
survivors and medical community learn a practical lesson.

o  Education certainly isn't *the* fix to The Problem, it's just a
thread in the Gortex.  Anyone relying too heavily on that one thread
will look silly trying to plug the bullet hole with training slides.

o  Edu is not any one thing: it's a conglomeration of learning
cycles, only some of which we here can directly impact.

o  When in the course of daily activities we have the oppotunity to
directly impact the education Folks get, *how* we use that
opportunity will greatly influence the effectiveness of our efforts.

o  IMHO Folks need a healthy combination of Good Cop/Bad Cop (or
"reassure" and "startle") from Us to effectively deliver what
education we can.  Which is why I would never imply that Marcus or
anyone else leaven their delivery, even though I myself prefer to use
the Voice of Clear Reason approach... ;~)
o  Business-driven opportunities to educate stakeholders are very
useful: "See, Pat the Androgynous Network Owner, this blacking out of
chunks of your infrastructure that we are watching is due to your not
paying attention to those important fundamental points I made
earlier.  Let's review..."

o  Mass-consumed mediable "pieces" can sometimes strike a common
chord and ratchet mass understanding.  When the mass social
environment is right, the right clip can be repeated and referenced
enough that a huge chunk of the population has an "aha!" moment and
all the bits that have drifted into their brainstems condense into a
coherent understanding of a pertinent point.

o  Just doing our jobs and patiently explaining stuff to our Subjects
- um - "Customers/coworkers" adds up, too.

You're right on all points.  All of these elements are part of user
education, the fact that a few significant ones are "naturally occuring"
means that we actually have less work to do than we thought.

--
Mason