Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 08:23:24 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Gadi Evron wrote:

If I am allowed one off-topic half-joke:

Perhaps we should work to issue licenses to users who want to use a
computer? :)

Put a consumer machine on the Internet out of the box, and see what
happens- hint: It likely won't be another consumer's PC that compromises
it initially.

Much like when a person wants to drive a car.

When you drive a car, your actions are different driving normally and
running over people on the sidewalk.  The "worst" thing a home user can do
is execute a virus or trojan- and the interface presents that in
essentially the same way as non-active content- that's not really an
end-user problem.  Take the execute bit off the place where attachments
normally get saved, and you'd remove a huge percentage of the problems.
We at some point must come to the place where "breaking" 2% of
functionality to save 98% of users is worth doing.

As I always say. this may be applicable to ISP's being liable to some of
their users' actions, if the law would dictate it.

No, it'd just make a legal mess where a single malicious bad actor could
bring down an ISP.

Paul