Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen () punkt de>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:15:33 +0100 (CET)

Hello!

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

[... lots of good stuff ...]
I can't count the number of times that I convinced a CIO or
CTO to implement logging and egress filtering, only to find out a
year later that the whole thing had been shelved because of passive
resistance from the Network Guys who trotted the usual bullsh*t out
as soon as the dust settled.

Which still leaves us with the main question: why?
What are their real objectives?

I mean, I'm running an ISP here, so I don't read the log
entries for every blocked packet, but we _do_ monitor
all customer's lines with MRTG and _of_course_ all the
routers are configured to do unicast reverse path verification.
Hasn't brought the backbone to a crawl yet ;-)

Thanks,
Patrick M. Hausen
--
punkt.de GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Vorholzstr. 25        Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100