Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr <gwen () reptiles org>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:24:42 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Gadi Evron wrote:
Well than, speaking in the philosophical level, why shouldn't an ISP
that allows its users to commit crimes not be "put down" ?

Youch, Gadi!

By that particular accounting, we should have you and all of your family
put down, because people in your town have committed crimes!

While it's certainly convenient to think that the right technical
solution can solve complex social issues, it's clearly barking up the
wrong tree.

The problem here is user education more than technical innovation.
Using your [weak] car analogy, all the air bags, seat belts and roll
cages in the world don't substitute for the driver knowing how to drive
the vehicle, and take advantage of the safety mechanisms [eg: wearing a
seatbelt].

cheers!