Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 12:35:46 -0500

Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
Which still leaves us with the main question: why?
What are their real objectives?

I don't *KNOW*!!!! I wish I did - anyone on the list care to
comment?

If I had to guess, I'd guess that it's simply a reflexive
effort to remove hassles. We can safely assume that
adding filtering will cause political hassles, technical
hassles, and will increase the chance of the 3:00am
emergency ops pager going off. After all, if you don't
have filtering in place, you'll never have problems
with your filters. :) And, if a worm screws your
company, it's the platform guys who get whacked,
not the network guys - after all, the network keeps
working, right? So I suspect that ingress and egress
filtering are really something that networkers try to
immediately deflect with an SEP field (Someone
Else's Problem)

I mean, I'm running an ISP here, so I don't read the log
entries for every blocked packet, but we _do_ monitor
all customer's lines with MRTG and _of_course_ all the
routers are configured to do unicast reverse path verification.
Hasn't brought the backbone to a crawl yet ;-)

Whoah - a Networking Guy who Gets It! Hey, cool!

mjr.