Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you have a CIO?

From: "Jimmy L. Fikes" <fikesj () WBU EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:52:31 -0600

I am the CIO at WBU. One helpful study is found at
http://www.ciosinacademia.org/. I'm sure that Educause also has
resources on this.

I report to the Exec. VP and am part of the Strategic Planning Council.
We have 13 campuses in 6 states and I am responsible for all data and
communications services at all sites. A lot of work, but since these
states include Alaska and Hawaii, the annual trips are not too bad :)

I would argue strongly that the only effective way to integrate IT into
the strategic planning of the university is to elevate IT governance to
a cabinet, or near-cabinet level. If planning in any department is not
consistent with IT resources (both available and planned), the
inevitable results will be inefficiency, wasted resources, and less than
optimized services to students, faculty, and staff.

Jimmy Fikes
Chief Information Officer
Wayland Baptist University
Plainview, TX