Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you have a CIO?

From: David Etherton <de2141 () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:20:40 -0500

Hello,

I think a fairly compelling argument for a CIO is provided in the book
The New CIO Leader: Setting the Agenda and Delivering Results, by
Marianne Broadbent and Ellen Kitzis. This book is not specifically about
higher education but I think the role of CIO in the modern company or
institution is well-presented. Specifically, it talks about reporting
relationships for the CIO in various models like reporting to a CFO,
CEO, or Board of Directors (Trustees).

I spent 12 years at Princeton University and saw the emergence of a
CIO/V.P. of IT reporting to the President and Board of Trustees and now
I am a month into my new position within Columbia University with a CIO
position recently created and filled. I think the buck needs to stop
somewhere that is represented by a single person on the cabinet of a
college or university. The above referenced book talks about the way the
CIO can interact within the leadership structure of an institution to
make sure that the technology resources and initiatives are well-aligned
to the strategic goals of the organization.

Any specific questions you have of me please respond directly. All the
best! David

David Etherton
Associate Director, Client Services
Student Information Systems <http://www.columbia.edu/cu/sis/>
201 Philosophy Hall
(office) X-40651 (cell) 917-837-7891

"At SIS we provide the best possible integrated student information
services to the Columbia University community by working collaboratively
to ensure the accessibility, integrity, and security of student
information."