Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you have a CIO?

From: Tim Howard <Timothy_G_Howard () RAYTHEON COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:47:46 -0500

The I.T. Management Reform Act of 1996, otherwise known as Clinger-Cohen,
created the statutory requirement for federal agencies to have a CIO.
Since then they have taken on key roles in the management of IT systems. I
suggest you look at the law for a summary of what a CIO is expected to do,
and look for info on the Federal CIO Council and similar CIO
organizations.  You might also benchmark with other schools in your area.
Having a C-level responsible adult should be able to bring about cost
benefits that justify the position.

Good luck

http://www.cio.gov/

http://www.cio.gov/Documents/it_management_reform_act_Feb_1996.html

Tim

Raytheon
Tim Howard
Information Security Manager
Raytheon Information Solutions
301.943.4732 cell;      timothy_g_howard () raytheon com

Ronnie Jefferson <RONNIE.JEFFERSON () HAMPTONU EDU>
01/05/2006 05:12 PM
Please respond to
The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>

SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [SECURITY] Do you have a CIO?

Having a CIO is critical in terms of establishing a vision for how
technology will support the business and business processes, and then
selling that vision for technology to key campus stakeholders.
Nevertheless, while it is very important to ensure that the vision for
technology is closely aligned to the business goals and objectives of the
institution, having the CIO report to the CFO could impact the
effectiveness and ability of the CIO to be as strategic and visionary as
possible. Although the CIO and CFO can very well coexist in the same
environment and on occasion work very well together, CFO’s typically feel
as though CIO’s spend too much money….and CIO’s seem to view CFO’s as
non-visionaries struggling to keep the purse strings as tight as possible.
I am a strong advocate for having the CIO report directly to the President
unless circumstances do not permit.

Regards….

Ronnie

Ronnie Jefferson
Director
Data Conversion & Management Lab
Hampton University
Hampton, Va 23668
(757) 727-5928
(757) 728-6807

This message contains information which may be confidential and
privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the
addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any
information contained in the message. If you have received the message in
error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of
the message.