Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you have a CIO?

From: Chris Bennett <bennetc () LCC EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 09:36:55 -0500

At Lansing Community College we went to the CIO position about 4 and a
half years ago while we transitioned to a new leader.

The person reports directly to the President and is part of the
Executive Leadership Team, but we are considered an entirely seperate
division of the college financially.

LCC had developed a strong Virtual College offering and was starting a
new initiative called The Electronic Campus, that worked to transition
most courses to have some Internet component and many services would be
available over the web to students.  The colleges IT infrastructure
became a required component of a large percentage of our instructional
offerings and the CIO position was the driver to convert the
instructional goals into the infrastructure needed to support it.
I think that the CIO position can institute the vision of the college
more easily than an IT department that just supports individual requests
from users.

Jim Schug wrote:

Our college does not have a dedicated CIO; instead the functions are
spread through a number of divisions of the college.  I'm curious about:

1) Do you have a CIO?
2) To whom does the CIO report?
3) Any recommendations on how to "sell" the president about the
importance of having a CIO?

Thank you in advance.

Ability is what you're capable of doing.
    Motivation determines what you do.
        Attitude determines how well you do it.
/-Lee Holz/

Jim Schug
Information Security Instructor
http://oncampus.matc.edu/infosec
Milwaukee Area Technical College
5555 West Highland Road, Mequon, WI 53092  USA
Phone: (262) 238-2267

--
Chris Bennett, GSNA, GSEC
Director of Information Security

"Nothing strengthens the judgment and quickens the conscience
like individual responsibility." -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton