Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question on student user accounts

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () MBC EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:38:31 -0400

We had problems as well.  A few years ago we went with the following
convention, one for students and another for Fac/Staff.  It has servered us
well and allows use to "reserve" the name permenantly.  The rare dupe we
deal with manually.  It also makes it easy to distinguish a student from a
faculty member.

Staff/Fac:
First Initial + LastName
DUP - First Initial + Middle Initial + Last Name

Students:
LastName + First Initial + Middle Initial + Last 4 digits student ID Number

  _____