Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question on student user accounts

From: Geoff Nathan <geoffnathan () WAYNE EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:42:00 -0400

At 01:16 PM 6/23/2005, you wrote:
I was just curious what you are using for the network username format at
your institution and what you've found that works well for you.  Do you
reuse network accounts or do you have a unique username for each student
coming in?

At Wayne State we have been assigning meaningless 'license plate' logon
ID's for the past five years or so.  They are of the format aa1234 (mine,
for example, is an6993).  We do not reuse these.  Customers are free to
choose e-mail aliases through a fairly simple portal facility (either
through Pipeline or our Webmail client).  People seem content with the
system, and don't seem to mind having a basic nonsense ID as long as they
can choose their e-mail address.

Geoff
Geoffrey S. Nathan <geoffnathan () wayne edu>
Security Coordinator, Computing and Information Technology,
        and Associate Professor of English
Linguistics Program                     Phone Numbers
Department of English                   Computing and Information Technology:  (313) 577-1259
Wayne State University                  Linguistics (English):  (313) 577-8621
Detroit, MI, 48202                      C&IT Fax: (313) 577-1338