Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question on student user accounts

From: Charlie Prothero <Charlie.Prothero () KEYSTONE EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:33:45 -0400

Keystone College was wrestling with this a few years back.  ID's were
set up inconsistently, and we had no way to match a network or E-Mail
account back to its owner in our student recordkeeping system.  So, with
plenty of warning ahead of time, we deleted all of our existing student
user accounts and set up a table in our ERP system that contains fields
for student number and network userid.  Before each semester begins, we
run a query to see who is registered for classes but not in that table.
The mismatches get fed into another program that automatically generates
userid's with Exchange mailboxes according to the following standard:

- ID is comprised of first initial then last name (e.g. John Doe would
be jdoe) with the E-Mail address userid.keystone.edu
- If a generated ID would create a duplicate in the system, the program
automatically appends a 1 to the end of the ID and, if necessary,
increments that until an unused ID is found
- We do not intend to ever re-use ID's, as E-Mail intended for one
person could inadvertently be delivered to someone else
- We are also undecided on how long to leave an account live after the
student graduates (so far, we have not deleted any student accounts)

Once the ID generation cycle is complete, the table in the ERP system is
updated, and we're ready to go for the next time around.

In order to keep employees separate from this process, we use a
firstname.lastname standard for them.  We're small enough that manual
processing of employees is relatively easy to keep up with.

- Charlie

Charlie Prothero
IT Director
Keystone College