Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question on student user accounts

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:30:50 -0400

There was little practical application of the distinction in our email system.
The use of aliases permitted folks to use more natural email addresses than the
userid system suggests. As for other services, as permanent staff held higher
privliges to other systems than students, the account created was either staff
or faculty, and their student status was obscured. Should graduated students
become permanent staff, they are migrated from student to staff contexts.
Student employees generally receive no staff-level access, with exceptions dealt
with on an individual basis. The userid now no longer reflects status at all.

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
 www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com
GnuPG ID 43061C16, Public key http://www.calfrye.com/cfrye.asc

  "No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."  -- Carrie Snow.