Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question on student user accounts

From: Bill Frazier <frazier () IASTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:44:47 -0500

We allow faculty, staff, and students to select the netid they
wish.  It must be three to eight characters long and begin
with an alphabetic.  We do prohibit a few choices for
propriety.  We also allow users to change the id if they wish.
We have found that, over time, most of the less wise choices
do disappear -- especially when the student is about to
graduate and learns that the email address will be given to
recruiters.  If an id is changed, a mail list is automatically
created as the old id with the new as the only member.  If the
person really wants to abandon the old id, he or she can
delete the mail list.

We have about a one year cycle when a person leaves before the
id can be reused.

Our experience has been that the majority of people make
reasonable choices.  We have observed that many want their
id/mailing address to reflect their name and many do not.

Bill