Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question on student user accounts

From: Jorgen Madsen <jorgen.madsen () USASK CA>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:33:10 -0600

Several years ago we adopted the format abc123 where abc are somewhat based
on the individual's

initials followed by 3 random digits. We call this identifier an NSID
(Network Services Identification).

The NSID is never reused and only rarely changed. If an individual returns
at any point they will

receive the same NSID. Since we offer alumni email for life, they continue
using the same NSID

for as long as they want the service.

Jorgen Madsen
Server & Database Services