Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Future Impact of Viruses on Internet

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:56:22 -0500

To give credit where it's due, I appear to have duplicated the insight
that Gary Flynn described in his article cited this morning at
http://falcon.jmu.edu/~flynngn/whatnext.htm

Gary Dobbins wrote:

A good comparison - it sure feels more like the CB, than the freeway,
these days.  CB's being unable to discriminate between licensed and
unlicensed transmissions, the FCC could be cornered into dropping the
reg.  Here, we have the technology (but not yet the culture
widespread) to permit selective acceptance of only vouched-for traffic
(e.g. PGP, IPsec, X.509, etc).

--
--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
 www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com

  "The difference between Genius and Stupidity - Genius has its
limits." --Albert Einstein.