Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Future Impact of Viruses on Internet

From: Tim Lane <tlane () SCU EDU AU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:55:17 +1100

Hi All,

just as a topic of interest for academic discussion, does anyone have a
viewpoint on the potential likely future of the impacts of worms and
viruses etc on the future of the Internet and its use?  As an example, I
consider future scenarios could potentially be:

1) A continual and escalating situation of attack and defend (as is the
case now);
2) An future implementation of technology that largely mitigates the
seriousness of attacks rendering them of little concern;
3) A substantial and slow degredation of the Internet such that it becomes
largely unusable;
4) A sudden enormous impact on the Internet that forces an almost total
rebuild/re architecturing.

If anyone has any thoughts I would be interested.  I am sure someone out
there is involved in the development of a more robust Internet and is aware
of likely future scenarios.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Lane
Information Security Program Manager

Information Technology and Telecommunication Services
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157 Lismore NSW 2480

Ph:  61 2 6620 3290
Fax: 61 2 6620 3033