Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Future Impact of Viruses on Internet

From: Jim Moore <jhmfa () RIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:27:29 -0500

As I said "I look for balance, and/or insight."  They seemed to put into
perspective some of the shifts in threats.  I do admit that they also
have the objective of selling more products.  With most vendors, some
digging is required.  I would like it a bit more balanced as well.

On the surface, there are 3 trends from recent viruses and worms that
concern me.

- I am very disturbed by the keyloggers worms are dropping that search
for financial strings and then phone home.
- I am equally concerned with the more recent trend in malware that the
has capability to disable security software or block updates.
- I know with the RPC worms there was a variable payload worm kit
available, Blaster made the news, but Stealther was a bigger concern to
me.

I also have a friend that tracks information warfare, who I rely on to
sort out hype in that field.  People who really work in the area, are
concerned about attacks on the Internet infrastructure, but also work
from an Operations Security framework, and have had discussions about
the threats that are aimed at economic advantage, either from research
stealing, or from process destabilization.

I am evolving from the threat/vulnerability model to a
threat/adversary/vulnerability model.

Jim